Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

"Complain globally, praise locally"

Saw this quote on a blog I follow (thecornerstoneforteachers.com) and thought about how much better "lounge lizard syndrome" would be if we all adhered to it! It's noble to say, "Oh, I never go into the teacher's lounge," but in a tiny school? There's NOWHERE ELSE to GO! I mean, I feel cooped up in one classroom all day. I need adult interaction! It's one of the reasons I went back to school and got my certification. My kids are great, but... as my dad says, "There's only so many times you can scrub the floor." I've had the unique experience this year to student teach and long-term sub in the same building. I've been in the same building from August until April -- not a "real" teacher, but a quasi part of the team. As such, I had no contract, no guarantee of another day of employment. It was helpful in forcing me to remember -- if you want to be hired, you'd better watch your tongue! If I'd had a contract, would I have approached those convos in the lounge a little differently? I'm ashamed to say -- I think I would have been a little freer with my opinion. So between that experience, and this new little mantra, I think I will avoid the lounge lizard syndrome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...